Saturday, July 3, 2010

Zager ZAD 50CE Review By Gene Dowell

Features : 9
9.5 actually - I just watched the Olympics. No perfect scores allowed. Really, this is a very well appointed instrument with Grover tuners, the electronics work great and everything needed is right where it needs to be. So many other manufacturers place the electronics towards the neck where they can't accessed when playing. The Zager guitar is well thought out and expertly installed
Sound : 10
Before selecting this guitar I tried every major brand including Martin, Taklamakan, Taylor, Alvaraz and Larivee. This guitar sounds every bit as good as the Taylor 414 for less than a third of the price. Playing straight in the board it sounds beautiful. Alot of control with the EQ. I have a Genz Benz El Diablo that is set for my Anderson Cobra. The Zager Guitars is absolutely stunning through this amp, even though I have the clean channel set slightly dirty. The EQ and presence controls allow me to move from a browner blues tone to a bright big country jumbo and to the sweet little dreadnought it is.
Action, Fit, & Finish : 10
To heck with the Olympics! This is like an old Marshall amp, turn it up to an 11! I have owned and played 100's of guitars over the last 30 years and this one plays like a dream! It is fast and true accross the entire neck. Intonation is perfect. Really. I am not kidding. Perfect. Not a sour note anywhere. Really. I am not exaggerating. Perfect!
Reliability/Durability : No Opinion
Ask me in 20 years because I am sure I will still be playing this guitar
Customer Support : 10
This really again should be an 11. Tell me any other company where you can communicate directly with the man who does the work. Responses within minutes, not hours, not days. Lifetime Warranty. What more can I say?
Overall Rating : 10
I think I've said it all above. What equipment have I owned? Just out of the list a 1953 Tele, 67 Start, Les Pauls including a Black Beauty, 3 Ovations including the USA Custom Elite that the Zager replaced, Martins, Alvarez, just to name a few. This is really a sweet guitar. In my opinion if you want value for your money (and as a professional musician on a limited budget that is really, really important) this is THE acoustic electric dreadnought to own. The word is going get out on these at some point and when it does their value is going to increase. I'm not selling mine though. You will have to find a way to get your own.

No comments:

Post a Comment